Thursday, May 16, 2013

A writer is a writer 
just like
a runner is a runner...

  
     Just recently, I was at a writers conference (LDStorymakers) and when asked the question, "What do you write?", I found it extremely hard to even admit to the fact that I was a writer. As I fumbled for the right explanation to exactly what I felt I was, I realized something astounding...even though I had been trying to write roughly 1,000 words a day, I didn't feel like I could call myself a true writer.
     This is when the wheels in my mind started to turn.  
     What are some of my hobbies? Running. I love to run. Was I always good at running? No, I had to work at it. I had to run "x" amount of miles everyday. Eventually, I felt good enough to enter races and found that there were hundreds-if not thousands-of runners at various stages in their running careers. Do they all consider themselves runners? Heck, yeah! (I was thinking of a stronger word, but couldn't bring myself to type it.) 
     That's when it hit me.  
     When I firt started running I had heard some wise person say that runner's never use the word 'jogger' to describe themselves. We all work hard at the sport no matter how fast or slow we are. You must own the title, for that is what you are.
     Could the same thing apply to writing?
     You bet your booty!
     I work at writing just like I work at running. So, dang-it! I. Am. A. Writer. I'm owning this title just like a fisherman calls himself a fisherman. Like a golfer is a golfer and a swimmer is a swimmer. Like a reader is a reader and a biker is a biker. Like a baker is a baker and a cook is a cook. Like a doctor is a doctor and a laywer is a...well, you get the point.
     Now, all you novice writers out there humming and hawing whenever asked the question, "Oh, are you a writer?", I want you to stand up tall, square your shoulders back and say with a smile, "Why, yes." (Nod your head) "I am a writer." For that is exactly how I will be replying from now on. 
 
 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment